Thursday, March 19, 2009

Endurance....1/4 mile at a time!

ENDURANCE
1: permanence , duration
2: the ability to withstand hardship or adversity ; especially : the ability to sustain a prolonged stressful effort or activity
3: the act or an instance of enduring or suffering


STAYING POWER
: capacity for continuing (as in existence, influence, or popularity) without weakening


My goal today was to FINALLY hit the 4 mile barrier. YES, I can say it FINALLY happened. I set out with the goal, however, after running about 1.5 miles i decided 3 would be enough. As long as I didn't run less than 3 as the race is less than 2 weeks away!

When I was reaching my block (3 miles at this point) I thought, "Well, why not do once around...an extra 1/4 mile."

Reaching my driveway again, I thought, "Three and a half miles is a nice number. I'll do one more 1/4 and call it quits. I mean, I only have to do about 3 anyways for the race."

I was "in the zone" at this point. I had been asking God for help and I didn't see it coming until I realized that I was STILL running PAST the point I wanted to quit. He had given me staying power through a changed mindset.

Wouldn't you know that by the time I was at 3.5 miles, I realized God was going to help me actually hit the 4 mile mark because I was talking myself into ANOTHER 1/4 MILE and there was no way I was going to stop short of running a 4 mile total by JUST 1/4 mile.

So many times we DO have a long term goal in mind, but lose sight of it as the devil tells us, "Well, that's good enough. It's too hard. It's not that big a deal. You can do it tomorrow. They're not worth it. They don't appreciate you..."

We forget that "running" towards the long term goal is made up of "quarter mile steps." You don't accomplish it all in one day or in one try. That's where we get defeated. To go that extra mile today I HAD to do it 1/4 at a time or I would've NEVER done it. I would've stopped, and felt defeated that I hadn't pushed myself and trusted God to do a work beyond myself.

Don't get defeated from one failure or even a multitude of failures. Remember that God is merciful and ready to pick you up. Turn to Him for your strength when your staying power is weak.

Hebrews 12: 1 Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us,

2 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

3 For consider him that endured such contradiction of sinners against himself, lest ye be wearied and faint in your minds.

God has grace for the next "quarter mile." He knows what that is for your situation and is waiting for you to call upon Him in your weakness. Be determined to not give up. Hold on to Him!

Stacey Wallace

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwiBIzNu0vE&feature=related

No comments: